Help With Electricity Bills
The Low-income Energy Assistance Plan (LEAP)
The Low-Income Energy Assistance Plan (LEAP) for electricity customers in Hamilton is now available. Alectra Utilities has taken the position that for the remainder of 2020 they will not be completing any disconnections of service for residential accounts. *NEW* in 2020 households will be able to apply for assistance from Neighbour to Neighbour with a notice of arrears, such as a REMINDER NOTICE, COLLECTIONS NOTICE, PAST DUE NOTICE from Alectra Utilities. (If you are a Hydro ONE customer, please contact the United Way of Greater Muskoka at email@example.com or 855 487 5327.)
If you wish to apply for the LEAP grant, please review the following information:
LEAP grants are limited to households on the Hamilton mountain. If you live in the lower city, please call the Housing Help Centre at (905) 526-8100.
- LEAP grants are a maximum of $500, or $600 if your home is heated primarily by electricity. *Electric heating does not include heating with portable space heaters* Alectra will confirm if the household is heated primarily by electricity and applicants that do not meet this criterion will be limited to the $500 maximum.
- Income verification must be provided for all household members 18 years and older. Income can be verified in one of the following ways:
- 2 months of pay stubs
- 2 months of bank records showing all deposits
- 2019 Income Tax Notice of Assessment
- Monthly income statements from a pension such as Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP.)
- Education grant and bursary statements. (Student loans are not income because they must be repaid.)
LEAP for Natural Gas customers:
If your household is in arrears for a natural gas account, you may be eligible for LEAP Gas. Please contact the United Way of Greater Muskoka at firstname.lastname@example.org or 855 487 5327 to see if you qualify.
“I received help with more than just money toward my bills. I had no idea that there was so much help available for people during tough times.”
Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
- Low-Income households can be eligible to receive a credit on their electricity bills.
- The OESP is an Ontario energy Board (OEB) program that lowers electricity bills for lower-income households.
- The OESP provides a monthly credit to eligible customers based on household income and household size.
- The OESP credits are applied directly to the bills of eligible customers.
- You can apply at any time. There is no application deadline, but the sooner you apply and are accepted in the OESP, the sooner you will begin to receive the on-bill credits.
- You can find additional information about this program here
- If you would like to apply, you can call us to book an appointment – 905 574 1334 ext. 207
Call us to book an appointment.
905 574 1334 ext. 207